I'll spare you my long, sad and boring story of how I became gluten free. I'll just say it was due to health reasons and ever since going off all things wheat, barley and rye, I have felt so much better.
I'll also spare you the drawn out rant over how freaking hard it is to do a gluten free diet, in a world that creates such yummy (and toxic for us gluten-free people) treats like cookies and cakes and donuts and hardrolls and pizza and you get the idea. It is not easy to cut that out and to find suitable (not gaggable) replacements. So, I consider it my duty to my fellow gluten free readers, or those that have just stumbled upon this post by accident (or this blog), to share with you the products and things I've fallen in love with. If I don't think they are JUST as good as regular glutenful food, I will not give my very picky stamp of approval. Here's just a few of my favorites:
1. Udi's gluten free Multigrain bread, this is usually kept in the freezer section so keep your eye out. It has a nice crusty crust and when you toast it (recommended) the inner part gets all soft and the edges stay crusty. I LOVE it with butter and jam or even as a grilled cheese sandwich.
2. Udi's frozen pizza crust (comes in pack of two)- it is the perfect size for an individual pizza and since I haven't had much of an appetite I usually have one piece left over. Just take it out of the freezer when you're ready to use, top with your favorite ingredients and bake at 400 for about 8 minutes. I'd prefer it slightly more cooked than not cooked enough. But it is really good!
3. Kinnickinicks (I know I messed up that spelling)- also in the freezer section, the cinnamon sugar donuts are AMAZING!!! They taste like deep fried county fair donuts and I can literally eat a whole box in less than a week. Just nuke 'em for about 30 seconds (I like to flip mine halfway) or until they are warm to the touch, even slightly too hot. They will practically melt in your mouth. I like to eat them with...
4. Starbucks Mocha Frappachino (bottled), now these aren't marketed as a gluten free product but as I had to give up my signature drink due to the caramel coloring, I thought these were a great choice. I also like a grande, iced, nonfat, classic syrup latte with cinnamon on top. Some caramel coloring is safe, so you need to check with the manufacturer, but as far as I can tell, Starbucks Caramel syrup & Vanilla syrup are NOT gluten free :( But coca cola classic is :)
5. Kind Bars: my favorite by far is the blueberry vanilla cashew. It reminds me of a blueberry poptart, but good. I could eat three a day. I'm actually considering buying a box in bulk because they are sooo good. They have lots of flavors so try and see what you like!
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment