Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mozzerella Pizzaola

I make this recipe all the time. I probably spelled it wrong but it's a variation on a recipe from one of my favorite Italian pizzerias. The original version comes with the most delicious homemade bread- the crusty, hole-y kind often served at authentic Italian places. My version can be served with gluten free bread (homemade or I like Udi's multigrain- it almost has the same kind of feel as the Italian bread) or you can serve it over pasta (gluten free if you wish!). I like it both ways. For an appetizer, I made it with gluten free bread and served it to a room full of regular-bread-eaters and they loved it! It was gone so fast and I had to get out more bread to serve with it...and some people who will remain nameless were actually eating it with a fork!

Fresh garlic gloves, corsely chopped(as much as you like- I usually use 3-4 cloves)
Extra virgin olive oil
Roasted red peppers (about 1/2 cup worth- I usually use half of a small jar)
Large can (16 oz?) of crushed tomatoes
Fresh basil leaves, about a handful or less
salt & pepper
Fresh mozzerella (one large ball is good, sliced or torn up, or use the mini balls)
Calmata olives (they are intense- if you don't like them, just black olives or large green olives can substitue)
sugar
a touch of balsamic vinegar
bread for spreading or pasta

Saute the garlic in olive oil until aromatic and slightly cooked. Turn down heat and add the peppers and tomatoes. Let cool for a few minutes and then add to a food processor. Process till chunky but mixed, with the basil and tiny splash of vinegar added. Add sugar, salt & pepper to taste. It should be a nice mix of sweet, salty & spicy. Add back to pan and heat through. Add the mozzerella and olives while warm and pour into a large serving bowl. Serve with toasted bread (from oven is easiest) or over pasta, sprinkled with parmesan. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment