Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mini Banana Beignets


Trust me, the picture doesn't do these justice. They are incredible. So incredible, in fact, that I froze half the batter balls in hopes I'd use them up one day for breakfast awhile from now. But I went 24 hours after the first batch half was eaten up and couldn't wait any longer. So I fried some up fresh about 20 minutes ago. They are soft and warm on the inside, with the most incredible crunchy crust on the outside, and rolled in cinnamon sugar.

I modified this recipe from Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mini-banana-beignets-recipe/index.html

and since I was out of eggs I used applesauce instead. I also subbed vanilla extract instead of banana (because that just sounds gross), and of course I used GF flour. So here it is- my version of banana beignets. You're welcome. :)

-heat 2 inches of vegetable oil in a pan/pot for frying

Ingredients:

-1 1/2 cups white rice flour
-generous pinch of xantham gum
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 tsp baking powder
-generous amount of cinnamon (I didn't measure...I love cinnamon so I just dumped some in)
-1/3 cup granulated sugar
-1 ripe banana, mashed
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 heaping tbsp. of applesauce (or 1 egg)
-1/2 cup of milk (I used 1%)

Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk. In a separate bowl mix the banana, applesauce, milk and extract. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until blended and everything is moist. Roll into balls- this will be sticky. It's okay.

Then make sure your oil is HOT. If you drop the dough balls in before they are ready they will not be good. Wait until the oil reaches approximately 375 degrees- use a thermometer.

Drop the dough balls in but do not crowd the pan/pot- I think my pan was 8 or 10 inches and I did 5 balls at a time. They cook fast so stay put. When they are a rich golden brown, remove them with a slotted spoon (I used the same spoon to drop them in so I wouldn't splash my hand with oil) and set on a clean towel or paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil. When they are still warm, while the second batch is frying, roll in a cinnamon sugar mix (1/2 cup granulated sugar to about 2 tsp-ish of cinnamon). Enjoy with a glass of cold milk or coffee!



No comments:

Post a Comment