Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Sugar Topping

I love blueberries. So much. Blueberry muffins rank high among my top sweet, simple treats. I bought some frozen organic blueberries and decided to attempt some GF blueberry muffins. I pulled out my old red and white checked Better Homes New Cook Book (you know the one) which is from, I'm guessing, the 70's or 80's. I wouldn't be me if I didn't vary the recipe, of course ;) So I swapped out the oil for butter, upped the berries and lemon zest, and added vanilla and a lemon sugar topping. The result was perfect. Everything I want in a blueberry muffin:


 


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cup all purpose gf flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 tsp xantham gum
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest

-Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix:

1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup melted, cooled butter
1 tsp vanilla

-Add the milk mixture to the flour, stirring till just combined. Then fold in 1 cup of blueberries (I stirred mine with a bit of flour first to prevent them from sinking) and pour into muffin pan (I used cupcake liners). Finally in a small bowl, mix together:

3 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lemon zest- more or less depending on how sweet you like it.

-Sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and a knife comes out clean. Enjoy!

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment