Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Technology, and Pizza Crust

Sometimes I hate technology. And sometimes I think it hates me. I haven't blogged since November. The morning of Thanksgiving I woke up to my computer showing a blue screen...and nothing else. Nothing I did would fix it. So it went to the shop. Long story short- needed new harddrive, new harddrive went bad, replaced new harddrive, missing all my files, back in the shop. Three times in the shop since Thanksgiving. Thankfully, now it seems to be better.

Coming back from my little hiatus, I wanted to share a thing or two about pizza crust. I am a big fan of pizza. Big fan. My husband and I have a tradition, that we've only broken a few times in the last 8, almost 9 years. We have homemade pizza every Friday night. My husband has two awesome (or so I've been told) dough recipes he makes, or I make for him, but I have struggled since going GF to find a really fantastic pizza crust/dough.

First I tried making my own, which always seemed to turn out very biscuit-y. Then I tried Udi's crust, and while they are fine, and I do still use them occasionally, I don't "love" them. Then I tried the Bisquick GF pancake mix, which has a dough recipe, and that turns out pretty nicely, and the last time I made pizza I used Bob's Red Mill mix- and it was probably my favorite. Now it's my second favorite, because I've discovered

French Meadow Bakery pizza crust!

http://www.frenchmeadow.com/products/gluten-free/gluten-free-pizza-crust-2-pack

I had a date day with hubby and we went to a great little pizza place, which offered GF pizza at a 3.00 extra charge. It was totally worth it. When my pizza came out, topped with onions, peppers, and olives, it actually looked good. When I picked it up I noticed it wasn't too much like a biscuit, or a cracker. It held together nicely. It was soft, with crisp edges, and no funky aftertaste. I purchased two crusts from the pizzeria and then was delighted to find them in my grocery store last weekend. I had seen them before, on the bottom shelf of the GF freezer section, but I never purchased them before. I haven't made any for myself at home, but I expect them to taste just as wonderful as the pizza place's.

So, if you're looking for a great pizza crust- give these a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment