Monday, January 21, 2013

Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Yesterday I was craving some rich chocolate peanut butter goodness so I whipped up these little babies. Here's my basic cupcake/cake recipe:

1 3/4 cup flour (this time I used 1 1/4 c. oat flour, and 1/2 cup tapioca flour because I was out of white rice flour)
1/2 cup buttermilk, room temperature
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) of butter, cut into several pieces, softened

-Preheat oven to 350, then mix the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla together, set aside

-Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. To that add the chunks of butter, one at a time, and mix with a mixer until it forms crumbs.

-Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter to that (I used 1/4 cup but next time I'd do more). Then add the buttermilk and mix it in, half at a time to the flour/pb mixture. It'll look somewhat curd-y by now, but that's fine.

-Pour into cupcake pan, lined with cupcake liners. I used Texas sized, and bake for about 10-25 minutes, depending on the size of the cupcake pan.

Frosting:

I don't follow a real recipe, but my frosting for these is a rich chocolate consisting of:

-softened salted butter
-vanilla
-powdered sugar
-cocoa
-milk

I start with the butter and add about a stick or less, then dump in plenty of powdered sugar and as much cocoa as you like (if you like it richer/less sweet add more cocoa) and thin out as needed with milk and vanilla.

-Wait for cupcakes to cool and spread or pipe on. Now, of course, I'm having an issue with blogger right now and I can't upload my photo- but imagine a plump golden cupcake topped with a rich brown swirly frosting! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment